The Lucid Air Alpha Speed Car, was first tested at the large oval track of the Transportation Research Center of Ohio in April 2017. The car was given aerodynamic aids and a parachute to slow the car abruptly in case the straights didn’t prove long enough to reach desired speeds and slow down sufficiently for the next turn. For the first test, the top speed was software limited to 217 mph (350 km/h).
This July. the Lucid team recently returned to the Transportation Research Center facility for the next round of testing with the Lucid Air Alpha Speed Car. The Lucid team tackled the high-speed oval again, this time with the software speed limit removed so they could evaluate performance at even higher speeds, up to 235 mph.
That morning there was a rain delay, but it was clear to the spotters standing hundreds of meters away that the car was moving faster coming off the banking than during the last test. And they were right. This time the Air came off the high banking at 215 mph and reached an ultimate GPS confirmed speed of 235.44 mph.
The Lucid team made a few adjustments based on what they learned to improve upon their first time. The air suspension required a software update to improve responsiveness when loaded heavily. The front motor required updates to coolant flow and ventilation. New, aerodynamically efficient wheels were fitted. Finally, they removed the speed limiter to see what a Lucid Air alpha prototype was capable of achieving.
Lucid Motors intends to start production of the Lucid Air by 2018, with a base model priced at between $50,000-$60,000 dollars.
Features of the base Lucid Air include:
- 240-mile range
- 400 horsepower (rear-wheel drive)
- All hardware necessary for autonomous driving
- Huge interior space in an efficient package
- Two trunks, one in the front and one in the rear, with a combined storage capacity of over 32 cubic feet (similar to the volume of a 4-person hot tub)
- 12-way power front seats
- LED multi-lens array headlights
- Four screens, with interactive-touch surfaces on three
- 5-seat configuration with a rear bench seat
- 10 advanced airbags
- Aluminum roof
- 19-inch wheels
- 10-speaker audio system
- Over-the-air software updates
The price of a fully loaded Lucid Air will likely be above $100,000.
Features of the fully loaded Lucid Air include:
- 315-mile and 400-mile-range battery options
- Up to 1,000-horsepower twin-motor configuration, with all-wheel drive
- Fully active suspension, delivering a world-class ride
- Glass-canopy roof
- Rear executive seats that recline up to 55 degrees
- 22-way power front seats with heating, ventilation, dynamic bolsters, and massage
- 21-inch Lucid-design wheels
- 29-speaker audio system with active noise cancellation
- Expanded leather trim with corresponding material upgrades